Saturday, October 17, 2015

Mixing with the pioneers

In the morning I have the rare privilege of speaking at the gathering of one of my favourite organisations on the planet, Urban Expression. Gathered at IMC in Selly Oak will be 60 or so of the most creative and fearless Kingdom pioneers.

I'll be reflecting with them on Paul the monetary jester, thinking about his upside down and back to front take on economics in the hope that it will stimulate people to think about how resources can be pooled, invested, used, released, spent (pick any word you like) to see God's Kingdom erupt among the poorest and most marginalised in our communities.

Hopefully, I'll leave with lots to think about, ideas that I'll be able to take back to my situation in Bromley.

And talking of my stomping ground, we made to the independent today as outer London boroughs are now beginning to show some of the signs of multiple deprivation seen in inner boroughs for generations. For some time now I've been calling this the donutification of the city (not sure it's original), the turning of London into a city more like Paris, where the centre is the province of the rich and well-to-do while the poor are crammed into outer city estates.

I'll try to find the article and put the link up tomorrow. I'll also reflect further on what this might mean for church and civic life in the borough.

No comments: